Victoria Swing Bridge
The older picture is a ‘National’ Series postcard, postmarked 1904.
When the Victoria Swing Bridge was built in 1874, it was the largest swing bridge in the United Kingdom, It carried two rail tracks, a road and had footpaths along each side. It could be moved so as to allow shipping to pass up the Water of Leith.
Nowadays it no longer swings. The road and the rail tracks have been removed and the bridge is solely for pedestrian use. It forms a footpath connecting modern housing developments on either side of the river. A modern fixed road bridge has been built alongside it and behind the bridges some of Leith’s traditional dockland activity can still be seen.